The Minister in China (MacMurray) to the Secretary of State
[Received 12:33 p.m.]
156. My 154, March 27, 2 p.m.96 Following from American consul general at Canton:
“March 27, 1 p.m. Referring to my telegram of March 26, 3 p.m.96 American missionaries have decided to evacuate Wuchow because of the strike against the hospital and antimissionary demonstrations. I have asked U. S. S. Pampanga, which reached Wuchow last night, to assist missionaries to leave, then seal mission buildings and inform local authorities they will be held responsible.
“Soldiers are again threatening to occupy American mission property Hoihow, Island of Hainan, in spite of protests. No further news from Kweilin mission in Kwangsi Province. If general conditions do not improve and Canton Government continues present negative attitude, I may find it necessary to urge all missionaries to evacuate island stations.
“Actual negotiations with Hongkong for the settlement of the strike and boycott expected to begin in the near future.”