Chargé Sleeper to the Secretary of State.
Habana, February 3, 1906.
Sir: In continuation of my dispatch No. 1441 of January 16, 1906, relative to sanitary ordinances for the island of Cuba, I have the honor to transmit to the department herewith inclosed translation of presidential decree No. 17, of January 3, 1906, promulgating sanitary ordinances for the Republic.
I have, etc.,
[The decree is not printed in full because of its great length. A description of its thirty-three chapters and the number of articles in each follows.]
- Chapter I.—Local sanitary boards, articles 1–26.
- Chapter II.—Local chief health officers, articles 27–29.
- Chapter III.—Inspectors, articles 30–31.
- Chapter IV.—Water supply, articles 32–44.
- Chapter V.—Foodstuffs and liquors, articles 45–125.
- Chapter VI.—Construction of buildings in towns; ventilation, drainage and sanitary installations, articles 126–157.
- Chapter VII.—Hotels, lodging houses, boarding houses, cafes, restaurants, eating houses, and barrooms, articles 158–172.
- Chapter VIII.—Apartment or tenement houses, articles 173–202.
- Chapter IX.—Private residences and houses in general, articles 203–225.
- Chapter X.—Schools and colleges, articles 226–235.
- Chapter XI.—Factories and workshops, articles 236–248.
- Chapter XII.—Dangerous, unhealthy, and incommodious factories, industries, and establishments, articles 249–280.
- Chapter XIII.—Hospitals and infirmaries, articles 281–319.
- Chapter XIV.—Barber shops and hair shops, articles 320–328.
- Chapter XV.—Public baths, articles 329–339.
- Chapter XVI.—Slaughterhouses and slaughtering, articles 340–357.
- Chapter XVII.—Markets, articles 358–387.
- Chapter XVIII.—Butcher shops and sale of meats, articles 388–05.
- Chapter XIX.—Garbage and refuse, articles 406–414.
- Chapter XX.—Transportation of garbage and fertilizers, articles 415–420.
- Chapter XXI.—Cleaning of privies and dead wells, articles 421–436.
- Chapter XXII.—Railways, street railways, and omnibus lines, articles 437–445.
- Chapter XXIII.—Public highways, articles 446–459.
- Chapter XXIV.—Animals and cattle, articles 460–477.
- Chapter XXV.—Rural sanitation and hygiene, articles 478–483.
- Chapter XXVI.—Contagious diseases, articles 484–525.
- Chapter XXVII.—Burials, cemeteries, undertaking establishments, and exhumations, articles 526–553.
- Chapter XXVIII.—Autopsies, embalming, etc., articles 554–561.
- Chapter XXIX.—Transportation of corpses, articles 562–574.
- Chapter XXX.—Miscellaneous, articles 575–607.
- Chapter XXXI.—General rules, articles 608–616.
- Chapter XXXII.—Infractions and penalties, articles 617–622.
- Additional chapter.