5. Memorandum From Acting Director of Central Intelligence Knoche to the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Brzezinski)1
- Interest of PLO Chairman Yasir ’Arafat in Establishing a Dialogue with the United States Government
1. The following information was obtained on 2 February 1977 [1½ lines not declassified] Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Chairman Yasir ‘Arafat is seeking ways of establishing a dialogue with United States Government officials but is uncertain about how to accomplish this. On [less than 1 line not declassified] January 1977, ‘Arafat discussed the problem in Beirut [6 lines not declassified] ‘Arafat expressed interest in having [name not declassified] contact you to discuss ways in which a dialogue could be established. ‘Arafat indicated that the idea for a dialogue originated with Egyptian President Anwar Al-Sadat.
2. This information is also being provided to the Secretary of State, The Honorable Cyrus R. Vance. No other dissemination is being made.
- Source: Carter Library, National Security Affairs, Staff Material, Middle East File, Chron File, Box 130, Quandt: 2/4–9/77. Secret; Sensitive.↩