94. Telegram 37000 From the Embassy in France to the Department of State, December 15, 1976, 1242Z.1 2
December 15, 1976, 1242Z
DE RUFNPS #7000 3501244
O 151242Z DEC 76
FM AMEMBASSY PARIS
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 7999
TAGS: PFOR VN US
SUBJ: US-VIETNAMESE RELATIONS: A FURTHER MEETING
REF: PARIS 35242
- SRV FIRST SECRETARY DO THANH SAW EMBOFF AT 1130 PARIS TIME 15 DECEMBER TO PASS THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE, TRANSLATED NEARLY VERBATIM: QUOTE. THE DATE OF DECEMBER 20 AS PROPOSED BY THE US PARTY FOR THE NEXT MEETING OF THE TWO PARTIES PRESENTS DIFFICULTIES FOR OUR SIDE IN MAKING ARRANGEMENTS. WE THEREFORE PROPOSE JANUARY 10, 1976. UNQUOTE.
- DO THANH HAD NO FURTHER INFORMATION CONCERNING THE OTHER TWO SUBJECTS RAISED DURING THE PREVIOUS MEETING (REFTEL), THAT IS TUCKER GOULGELMANN AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS OF THE 12 SERVICEMEN ON THE SEPTEMBER 6 LIST.
- IF DEPARTMENT WISHES EMBOFF TO PRESS AGAIN ON THESE TWO SUBJECTS
WHEN HE CONVEYS US RESPONSE TO SRV
PROPOSAL FOR JANUARY 10 DATE, PLEASE ADVISE.
- Source: Ford Library, National Security Adviser, Kissinger-Scowcroft West Wing Office Files, 1969–1977, General Subject Files, Box 34, Vietnam War, Camp David Files (3), 12/12/75–12/15/76. Secret; Immediate; Exdis. Telegram 35242 from Paris, November 29, is Document 93. The Department of State did not respond to this message; no evidence of a January 10 meeting has been found.↩
- Report on the December 15 meeting between Vietnamese and Embassy officials in Paris.↩