320. Memorandum From Denis Clift of the National Security Council Staff to Secretary of State Kissinger 1
- Legal Disclaimers in CSCE Final Document
In accordance with the request at Tab II,2 I have drafted the memorandum at Tab I for your signature to the President reviewing the language in the CSCE documents which makes clear that the obligations undertaken by the signatories are not legally binding.
That you sign the memorandum for the President at Tab I.
- Source: Ford Library, National Security Adviser, Box 13, Presidential Trip Files, July 26–August 4, 1975, Europe, General (7). Confidential. Sent for action. Scowcroft wrote in the margin: “Discussed with Pres.” According to an attached routing memorandum, Scowcroft discussed it with the President on July 25.↩
- Tab II, a memorandum from Clift to Scowcroft, July 2, which contained a status report on the CSCE legal disclaimer, is attached but not printed. Scowcroft wrote at the bottom of the memorandum on July 19: “Denis—Will you update this urgently for the President? Thanks.”↩
- This draft memorandum from Kissinger to the President, sent for information, was neither signed nor dated.↩
- For the text of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, August 1, 1975, see Department of State Bulletin, September 1, 1975, pp. 323–350.↩