217. Telegram From the Department of State to the Mission in Geneva1
134543. Subject: CSCE: Basket 3 preamble. Geneva eyes only for Ambassador Sherer, US CSCE Del. From Sonnenfeldt and Hartman. Ref: Geneva 3950.2
- Concur in general approach your proposed para 5 reftel, entailing efforts to encourage early registration of texts on access to printed information and family reunification, followed by registration of at least para 4 of Finnish Basket 3 preamble.
- Per para 4 reftel, you should encourage Soviets to allow Finnish para for non-intervention principle to be transferred to sovereign equality (bearing in mind, per State 132019,3 that we are not committed to support “foundations” language). You should also encourage Soviets not to try to reintroduce “laws and customs” language in “minipreambles” within Basket 3.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 708, Country Files, Europe, Switzerland, Vol. III. Secret; Immediate;Nodis; Eyes Only. Drafted by Streator; cleared by Hartman and Miller; and approved by Sonnenfeldt. Repeated to Moscow eyes only for Ambassador Stoessel.↩
- Document 216.↩
- Telegram 132019 to Geneva, June 22, is in the National Archives, RG 59, Central Foreign Policy Files, P840172–2114.↩