294. Memorandum of Conversation1
- Dr. Henry A. Kissinger, Secretary of State and Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
- Dr. James R. Schlesinger, Secretary of Defense
- Major General Brent Scowcroft, Deputy Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
- Major General John Wickham, Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense
Schlesinger: Ten quick subjects. You talked to Clements about a visit to the Saudis.
Kissinger: No, no.
Schlesinger: The Saudis are behaving like shits. We shouldn’t cater to them.
Kissinger: They are adolescents. They think they can ship oil through the back door and still maintain the embargo. But I turned Clements off. Get a scorcher off to the Kuwaitis.
Schlesinger: We have been too easy on the Kuwaitis. We should tell them the next time they get a problem with the Iraqis, forget it.
Kissinger: The conservative Arabs have decided they can kick us around and get credit with the radicals and not suffer.
[Omitted here is discussion unrelated to oil.]
- Source: Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, Kissinger Papers, TS 35, Geopolitical Files, Saudi Arabia, Oct 73–Dec 74. Top Secret; Nodis. The meeting took place at Schlesinger’s office at the Pentagon.↩