228. Telegram From the Department of State to the Mission in Geneva 1
Washington, February 12, 1975, 1940Z.
32200. Subject: Structure of TNC. References: (A) State 31753; (B) London 2147; (C) Geneva 902.2
1. Procedural suggestions approved subject to following conditions:
- Discussions on agricultural tariff and nontariff barriers will go forward in tariff group and NTB group.
- Agricultural group would not have veto over work of tariff or NTB group on agricultural matters. It is further expected that agricultural issues will be negotiated primarily, if not entirely, in the tariff and NTB groups. In case of conflict between tariff or nontariff barrier group and agricultural group, matter will be resolved by TNC.
- It is understood that agricultural group(s) established for "special consideration" reasons outlined in reftel could be either for discussion or negotiation purposes subject to mutual agreement.
- Options re-establishment of a grains or other subgroups under agricultural group should be left open pending further consideration.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Foreign Policy Files. Confidential; Immediate. Drafted by Yeutter and Guenther; cleared by Chief of the Trade Agreements Division William Barraclough, CIEP staff member Wayne Sharp, and Worthington; and approved by Guenther. Repeated Priority to London and USEC Brussels.↩
- See Document 227 and footnotes 2 and 3 thereto.↩