2. National Security Study Memorandum 51
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Secretary of the Treasury
- The Director of Central Intelligence
- The Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Japan Policy
The President has directed the preparation of a paper on US policy toward Japan for consideration by the NSC. The paper should consider alternative US policies with regard to the full range of US-Japanese issues including (1) Okinawa reversion (2) US bases in Japan (3) Security Treaty and (4) Economic Policy.
The President has directed that the NSC Interdepartmental Group for East Asia perform this study and that the Secretary of the Treasury designate a representative to sit on the Group for this study. The Chairman of the Group may invite other agencies to send representatives to particular meetings of the Group.
The paper should be forwarded to the NSC Review Group by March 10, 1969.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 365, Subject Files, National Security Study Memoranda, Nos. 1–42.↩