415. Telegram From the Mission to the United Nations to the Department of State 1
New York, October 6, 1971, 0243Z.
3198. Subj: Chirep—Plenary Debate To Begin 18 Oct.
- UN Legal Counsel Stavropoulos told us this afternoon that Albanian group has decided it wishes plenary to begin debate on Albanian Chirep item 18 Oct. (Comment: This is a good development; we had been concerned that Albanian cosponsors would try to insist on beginning A.M. 14 Oct following conclusion of general debate on 13 Oct.) Stavropoulos said USSR agrees. Stavropoulos will thus advise President Malik to announce for 18 Oct.
- On length of debate, Stavropoulos reiterated difficulty of predicting how many sittings should be required but will repeat his earlier advice to Malik that 12 sittings should suffice. Assuming a tightest possible schedule of two sittings per day, Stavropoulos thus foresees earliest possible dates for voting on Chirep reses as 25 or 26 Oct.
- Stavropoulos said that Soviets stated they have no objection to plenary taking up US Chirep item immediately following Albanian item. Albanian group had made no comment on US item. Stavropoulos thought Malik might not wish to propose that “plenary take up your item after the Albanian item.” He said that if Malik did not make a proposal of this character, “someone might do so from the floor”. (Comment: We purposely refrained from responding to this last point.)
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1970–73, UN 6 CHICOM. Confidential. Repeated to Taipei and Tokyo.↩