280. Telegram From the Department of State to the Mission to the United Nations 1
Washington, October 22, 1969, 2330Z.
179395. Subject: Chirep Voting Estimates.
- On basis responses to CA–4850,2 UNGA General Debate statements and other reports, we have compiled following preliminary vote estimate on Chirep resolutions: Important Question: Yes–70, No–48, Abstain–7, Absent–1; “Albanian” resolution: Yes–45, No–56, Abstain–24, Absent–1.
- While estimate reflects decrease in favorable margin on both reses, margin on IQ is still substantial (22 compared with 26 last year). On more critical Albanian res, margin between yes and no votes estimated decrease from 14 to 11.
- Following are estimated changes from last year on Albanian res: No to Abstain: Chile and Italy; Abstain to Yes: Ghana and Nigeria; Yes to Abstain: Kenya. On IQ: No to Abstain: Kenya; Yes to Abstain: Malaysia and Maldives; Yes to No: Libya; Abstain to No: Morocco.
- Firm information is lacking however from following (on Albanian res): Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, Honduras, Iceland, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Trinidad and Uruguay.
- Request USUN review and compare estimates with our cosponsors to determine where additional information or effort required. Following review and further canvass of dels, you may wish recommend to Dept capitals where approach has some prospect of success, where further effort with UNDel not likely to be productive (e.g. Chile), or where special circumstances apply.