154. Telegram From the Mission to the United Nations to the Department of State 1
New York, October 24, 1969, 2328Z.
3774. Subject: UN Scale of Assessments.
- Yost has informed Perm Reps of Brazil, Mexico and Peru of US position this matter with fol results.
- Brazil noncommital but said would look into matter.
- Mexico and Peru said would not cosponsor res providing additional maximum reduction for low per capita income countries but would probably vote for it if tabled.
- Faura (Peru) informed Da Mota (Brazil) of Peruvian decision not cosponsor and found Da Mota quite depressed at present situation. Faura said he did not believe Peru would have vote for res if tabled.
- Shahi (Pakistan) informed MISOFF his del would not cosponsor and he would endeavor convince Da Mota not table res.
- Sadry (Iran) said Vakil seeking instructions and had suggested to FonOff Iranian Del vote for res if tabled since it would save Iran money. Sadry felt certain Iran would not cosponsor.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1967–69, UN 10–4. Confidential.↩