227. National Security Decision Memorandum 451
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of the Treasury
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Secretary of Commerce
- The Secretary of Agriculture
- The Special Representative for Trade Negotiations
- U.S. Policy Toward Spain: Proposed Spanish Trade Agreement with the European Community
The President has decided that the United States will oppose the Spain-European Community trade agreement as presently proposed, in the context of opposition to all preferential arrangements illegal under the international trading rules of the GATT. We would, however, indicate our acceptance of any arrangement consistent with the GATT rules which Spain and the EC might work out, such as one which provides a definite plan and schedule for the formation of a free trade area within a reasonable length of time. The United States would not seek compensation in return for accepting such a legal arrangement, nor would it seek exception of particular items from the arrangement.
The President also decided that there was no need for any decision on a fallback position at this time.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, S/S Files: Lot 83 D 305, NSDM 45. Secret.↩