106. Memorandum From President Nixon to Secretary of State Rogers 1
The International Private Investment Advisory Council has proposed the creation of a federally chartered corporation for the purpose of promoting private capital investment in the developing nations. (See item XVIII-2 in the report from Arthur Burns’ group)2
I will need your analysis of this proposal by March 12, 1969. In preparing your report, you should consult Mr. Kennedy regarding the budgetary and balance-of-payments implications of the plan.
When you submit your report to me, please send a copy to Arthur Burns.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, S/S Files: Lot 73 D 288, NSC/Misc. No classification marking. Attached to an undated memorandum from Secretary Rogers to AID Administrator Hannah and Assistant Secretary Greenwald asking that they prepare the analysis requested by the President.↩
- Arthur Burns, in his capacity as Chairman of the Program Coordination Group, sent the President-elect the Group’s report under cover of a January 18 letter. Entitled “Recommendations for Early Action or Consideration,” the 117-page report dealt primarily with domestic issues, but Section XVIII, the final section, is entitled “International Economic Relations.” In his January 18 letter Burns noted that the report was an enlarged version of “the tentative report” that he had submitted to the President-elect on January 6. The letter is on the stationery of the Office of President-elect Richard M. Nixon with a New York address. (Ford Library, Arthur Burns Papers, Box A18, Report to President Elect Nixon)↩
- No classification marking. The attachment comprises pages 109– 110 of the Burns Group report.↩
- The Council’s report, entitled “The Case for a U.S. Overseas Private Enterprise Development Corporation,” is dated December 1968. A copy is attached to a January 8 memorandum from AID Deputy Administrator Poats to Salzman apprising him of a January 7 meeting at which the report was discussed. (Washington National Records Center, Agency for International Development, AID Administrator Files: FRC 286 73 A 518, LGP 3 Private Enterprise FY1969)↩