24. Telegram From the Embassy in Poland to the Department of State1
1685. Cabot-Wang Talks. Embtel 1684.2 Following is text draft agreed announcement mentioned reference telegram.
Begin Verbatim Text.
Agreed announcement of the Ambassadors of the Peoples Republic of China and the United States of America on easing the relations between China and the United States and promoting their normalization (draft) in order to ease the relations between China and the United States [Page 38]of America and promote their normalization, and also to safeguard peace in the Far East and the world,
Ambassador Wang Ping-nan, on behalf of the Government of the Peoples Republic of China, and Ambassador John M. Cabot, on behalf of the Government of the United States of America, have agreed to announce the following:
- The Governments of the two countries agree that the two countries
will co-exist peacefully on the basis of the five principles. The
five principles are:
- Mutual respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity,
- Mutual nonaggression,
- Noninterference in each others internal affairs,
- Equality, and Peaceful coexistence.
- The Governments of the two countries agree that they will settle their disputes through peaceful negotiations without resorting to the threat or use of force against each other. Consequently, the Government of the United States of America undertakes to withdraw all its armed forces from China’s Taiwan province and the Taiwan Straits area.
The Ambassadors of the two countries will continue their talks on the concrete implementation of the two above-mentioned agreements of principle.
April 8, 1964.
End verbatim text.