365. Information Memorandum From the President’s Special Assistant (Rostow) to President Johnson1
With respect to the Phantoms:
- —I have checked again with Sec. Clifford;
- —I made clear to him your view about credit and delivery dates;
- —He repeated what he said at lunch on the 24th; namely, the next move is up to the Israelis. They must make up their minds on three matters: weapons systems they want to go with the plane; the electronics systems they want; and the quantity of spares. The Israeli negotiating team is awaiting a response from Jerusalem.
It is possible that Abe Feinberg and others interested in the matter are not aware that the next move is up to Jerusalem. Do you wish me to inform Abe of this fact?
- Source: Johnson Library, National Security File, Country File, Israel, Vol. XI, Cables and Memos, 12/68-1/69. Secret. A handwritten notation indicates that the memorandum was received at 1:45 p.m.↩
- The President checked this option. A handwritten note in an unknown hand dated December 26 reads: “Mr. Rostow telephoned Mr. Feinberg.”↩