249. Final Report on Trilateral Talks1
Representatives of the Federal Republic of Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States have now completed the task assigned to them and submit this report as a record of the results of the talks.
The three representatives held a total of six formal sessions on:
October 20–21, 1966; November 9–10, 1966; November 28–30, 1966; February 27 and March 3, 1967; March 20–21, 1967; and April 27–28, 1967.
They also consulted informally a number of times; and they were assisted by several Working Groups. The Secretary General of NATO or his representative attended all of the formal sessions. A representative of SACEUR attended some of the Working Groups.
In addition to the Working Group reports, the talks have resulted in the following agreed documents (attached hereto): [Page 563]
- Agreed Minute on Strategy and Forces (9 November 1966).
- Agreed Minute on UK–FRG financial arrangements and United Kingdom forces (21 March 1967).
- United States aide-memoire on additional purchases from United Kingdom (21 March 1967).
- Agreed Minute on US–FRG financial arrangements and United States forces (28 April 1967).
- Agreed Minute on procedure in NATO and WEU (28 April 1967).
It is understood that the carrying out of the agreed financial arrangements will be handled through regular channels and that the further discussions of the issues relating to forces will be carried on through NATO procedures.
It is recognized that the balance of payments consequences resulting from the stationing of forces abroad for the common defense continue to pose a problem for joint attention.
- McCloy 2