15. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in Denmark 1
Washington, April 3, 1968, 1724Z.
140926. Subject: Greenland.
- At April 1 meeting with Ronne and Fergo, Leddy presented draft of proposed US note2 (text pouched March 20 under cover McKillop-Blankinship letter). Leddy stated that USG was prepared to use text as secret note in response to Danish note of February 26.
- Ronne said first paragraph, calling for joint decision, presented no problem. He questioned both need and feasibility for including second paragraph (which states that consultation may be difficult under emergency conditions). Both Ronne and Fergo felt that the Foreign Office would object to the language of the second paragraph. They suggested omitting the second paragraph on the ground that the situation it addresses does not appear to need any spelling out in advance.
- Mr. Leddy pointed out that, following the Thule crash, a lack of awareness of certain agreements on the part of high Danish Government officials had caused a delay of a full week in clarifying the situation between our two Governments. He proposed however, that Dept consult with Defense again on point Ronne raised and that meanwhile Ronne not transmit text to his Foreign Office. Ambassador agreed readily and pointed out present text, if sent to Foreign Office, could create negative reaction unhelpful to our discussions.
- In regard to Ronne’s question about public statement, Leddy suggested that, for present, Government, if asked in Parliament, state that discussions with USG on matter are continuing.