112. Memorandum of Conversation1
- Italian-US Civil Aviation Differences
- The Secretary
- Mr. Neil Seidenman, Interpreter
- Foreign Minister Amintore Fanfani
Foreign Minister Fanfani asked the Secretary if any progress had been made in the area of civil aviation. The Secretary said that we are continuing to study the subject, and, that he thought it would be best to continue to handle the matter through the normal channels on the technical level. Minister Fanfani instantaneously concluded, with the last words of the Secretary, “Yes, with the companies.” The Secretary corrected this and said he referred to government technical channels, then added that if some answer can be found to the problem of capacity there would be hope of solving some of the other aspects of the question.
- Source: Johnson Library, National Security File, Country File, Italy, Vol. 4. Confidential. Drafted by Seidenman and approved in S on June 2. The memorandum is Part VI of VI. Copies of the other memoranda of conversation are ibid. The discussion was held during a luncheon at the Department of State.↩