239. Memorandum From the Joint Chiefs of Staff to Secretary of Defense Clifford1
Washington, May 21, 1968.
- Adequacy of the Strategic Reserve and Related Matters
- Reference is made to your memorandum, dated 13 May 1968, in which you requested answers to five specific questions concerning the adequacy and readiness of our strategic reserve and the status of plans for the expansion and modernization of the Armed Forces of the Government of South Vietnam.2
- The answers to the questions posed in the reference are contained in the Appendix hereto and, for the most part, represent a compilation of information previously provided, updated to insure currency. More detailed answers to questions 3 and 4 will be provided in the response to a memorandum by the Deputy Secretary of Defense, dated 16 April 1968, subject: “RVNAF Improvement and Modernization (U).”3 The reply by the Joint Chiefs of Staff is expected to be forwarded during the week of 20 May 1968.
- This memorandum will serve to confirm the position of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on these matters, as presented during their meeting with you on 20 May.4 A more detailed overview of the entire worldwide US military posture is contained in JCSM–221–68, dated 10 April 1968.5
- Without attachment, this memorandum is Unclassified.
For the Joint Chiefs of Staff:[Page 683]
Earle G. Wheeler6
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Source: Department of Defense, Official Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 911/372 (13 May 68) IR 3945. Top Secret.↩
- Clifford transmitted the questions to Wheeler in this May 13 memorandum. The President had asked Clifford in a May 7 memorandum to ask the JCS to respond to these questions. (Both in Johnson Library, Clark Clifford Papers, Memos on Vietnam, February–August 1968)↩
- In this memorandum to Wheeler, April 16, Nitze argued that given the possibility that an agreement on mutual de-escalation might be achieved at Paris, the JCS needed to develop a plan to reorient the RVNAF toward self-sufficiency. (Department of Defense, Official Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, JMF 911/535 (16 Apr 68))↩
- See Document 238.↩
- Not found.↩
- Printed from a copy that indicates General Wheeler signed the original.↩
- Not printed. (Department of Defense, Official Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, JMF 911/372 (9 Mar 68))↩