268. National Security Action Memorandum No. 1351
- The Secretary of State
- British Guiana
No final decision will be taken on our policy toward British Guiana and the Jagan government until (a) the Secretary of State has a chance to [Page 552]discuss the matter with Lord Home in Geneva, and (b) Hugh Fraser completes his on-the-spot survey in British Guiana for the Colonial Office.
The questions which we must answer before we reach our decision include the following:
- Can Great Britain be persuaded to delay independence for a year?
- If Great Britain refuses to delay the date of independence, would a new election before independence be possible? If so, would Jagan win or lose? If he lost, what are the alternatives?
- What are the possibilities and limitations of United States action in the situation?