326. Briefing Paper Prepared in the Department of State for President Johnson 1
THE PRESIDENT’S MEETING WITH HENRY CABOT LODGE, AMBASSADOR TO VIETNAM
Purpose of visit
Ambassador Lodge is in Washington to discuss Viet-Nam with the President and other high U.S. officials who did not attend the Honolulu meeting on November 20.
You may wish to:
- —Commend Ambassador Lodge on his superb handling of a difficult situation.
- —Draw him out on the Vietnamese situation:
- Political prospects of the new government.
- Military outlook.
- Changes in the strategic hamlet program.
- Anticipated course of negotiations to meet 1964 budgetary deficit.
- —Review with him the draft National Security Action Memorandum emerging from the Honolulu meeting, which Mr. Bundy has initiated.2
- Ambassador Lodge will raise two matters with you, but we are not informed as to what they are.