23. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency Station in Saigon to the Agency1
Saigon, August 30, 1963.
[document number not declassified] Ref: CAS Wash 65032.2
- During 30 Aug CAS sought meeting with Gen. Khiem who responded through Maj. Nhon that he was “too busy” today. Khiem was called to Palace for lengthy conference this morning. Ambassador has requested Gen. Harkins to call on Khiem for meeting in Harkins’ office to offer additional bona fides and to question Gen. Khiem on specific plans and timing. Gen. Harkins’ initial attempt to contact Khiem met with response that Gen. Khiem was in conference. Do not know when Generals Harkins and Khiem will get together. We are suspending further contacts until after results of Harkins-Khiem meeting are known.
- With respect CAS Saigon 0445,3 wish point out that neither Col. Newman nor Col. Strickler have been made aware of initial plans or actions and that Gen. Kim’s warning was friendly one to Col. Newman simply requesting that Newman, who is old friend, not call on Gen. Kim over immediate future.
- Re ref para 2, we have discussed question of SW, radio, cut outs, etc., with Minister Trueheart in absence of Ambassador. We all believe that this kind of communication would not allow enough substantive exchange. For future, we will rely on established liaison between Khiem and CAS officer since latter has excellent reason for contacting Khiem. Will also explore further utilization of Maj. Nhon as cutout. However, if situation progresses to point where Generals will [want?] some tactical advice, Conein might also have to enter into relationship.
- As addendum, we have previously failed to note that CAS officer did turn over to Khiem, at latter’s request, on 28 August complete ordnance list, obtain sketch of Camp Long Thanh showing weapons emplacements. This is cited as another example of assurance re USG intentions since these plans were provided for purpose of attack on Col. Tung’s training camp in environs of Saig.
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, POL 27 S VIET. Secret; Operational Immediate; Eyes Only. The source text is a copy the CIA sent the Department of State exclusive for Rusk, Ball, Harriman, and Hilsman. Copies were also sent to the White House exclusive for Bundy and to the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Department of the Army, exclusive for McNamara, Gilpatric, Taylor, and Krulak.↩
- Document 21.↩
- Document 19.↩