191. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in the United Kingdom1
600. Following summary July 18 Lloyd–Secretary meeting based on uncleared memoranda conversation.2
Lloyd opened meeting expressing doubts HMG and UKDel wisdom holding General Assembly meeting re Lebanon and Jordan. Secretary acknowledged UNGA meeting might present difficulties but expressed feeling US could not oppose if Soviets prepared request meeting under Uniting for Peace resolution Secretary feared US refusal might imply US case weak. Ensuing discussion indicated general desire differentiate between actions Lebanon in which UN already involved and Jordan which simple case of state requesting help from friendly nation. Discussion also considered possibility introducing Hungarian question into same special session UNGA but doubts expressed concerning feasibility this move. Final decision US–UK action referred UN experts.
Lloyd and Secretary in agreement Turkish proposal to intervene Iraq unwise (Ankara’s 245 to Department rpt London 61).3 Such Turkish action would not have approval world opinion in view absence resistance new Iraq Government and might bring not only consolidation support for new Government but also dangerous Soviet reaction. Department preparing separately appropriate reply to Turks.[Page 326]
Strong protest received from French over absence consultation prior Lebanese and Jordanian actions considered. At Lloyd’s suggestion French Foreign Minister will be invited meet Lloyd and Secretary New York prior UNGA meeting if such meeting materializes. (Subsequently decided also invite Fanfani if UNGA meeting held.) Consideration also given German desire for consultation and message by Secretary will subsequently be sent Adenauer.
Brief note taken serious situation Sudan but no decisions reached.
US–UK Working Group Washington will undertake study decided upon previous session of political implications possible placement UK troops Persian Gulf Sheikhdoms and US troops Eastern Province Saudi Arabia. Military representatives discussing matter separately.
Formal talks appear to be concluded in absence dramatic new developments although Lloyd may remain for GA meeting. Secretary holding business dinner tonight with Alphand, Lloyd, and Sidney Smith, Canadian Minister External Affairs.
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, 780.00/7–1858. Top Secret; Limit Distribution. Drafted by Newsom and cleared by Rockwell and Frederick W. Jandrey in EUR.↩
- Separate memoranda of conversation were prepared on “Possibility of General Assembly Meeting on Lebanon and Jordan,” “Turkish Intervention in Iraq,” and “Message from the French Government.” (Ibid., Conference Files: Lot 63 D 123, CF 1050, Memoranda of Conversation, Lloyd’s Visit July 17–20; included in the microfiche supplement)↩
- Dated July 18. (Department of State, Central Files, 787.00/7–1858)↩