List of Sources
Department of State
- Indexed Central Files. See under National Archives and Records Administration below.
- Lot Files. A list of the lot files of the Department of State (decentralized files created by operating areas) used in or consulted for this volume and which are still in the custody of the Department follows. See also under National Archives and Records Administration below.
- G/PM Files: Lot 68 D 358
- Records on intelligence, national security actions, nuclear weapons, nuclear testing, et al., as maintained by the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Politico-Military Affairs for the years 1950–1967.
- Files retained in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research containing copies of National Intelligence Estimates and Special National Intelligence Estimates for 1958–1960.
S/S–RD Files: Lot 71 D 171
- Restricted data files for 1957–1967, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kansas
- Papers of John Foster Dulles as Secretary of State, 1953–1959, including General Memoranda of Conversation, Meetings with the President, General Telephone Conversations, and White House Telephone Conversations.
- Papers of Christian A. Herter, 1957–1961. Herter was Under Secretary of State, 1957–1959, and Secretary of State, 1959–1961.
- Papers of John A. McCone, Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, 1958–1961.
- National Security Council Staff Records
- Disaster File and Executive Secretary’s Subject File.
- President’s Daily Appointments
- Records of the appointments of Dwight D. Eisenhower as President, 1953–1961.
- Special Assistant for National Security Affairs Records
- Records of the Office of the Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs (Robert Cutler, Dillon Anderson, and Gordon Gray), 1952–1961.
- White House Office Files, Additional Records of the Special Assistant for Science and Technology
- White House Office Files, Office of the Special Assistant for Science and Technology Records
- White House Office Files, Project Clean Up
- Project Clean Up collection. Records of Gordon Gray, Robert Cutler, Henry R. McPhee, and Andrew J. Goodpaster, 1952–1961.
- White House Office Files, Staff Secretary Records
- Records of the Office of the Staff Secretary (Paul T. Carroll, Andrew J. Goodpaster, L. Arthur Minnich, and Christopher H. Russell), 1952–1961.
- Papers of Dwight D. Eisenhower as President of the United States, 1953–1961, as maintained by his Personal Secretary, Ann Whitman. The Whitman File includes the following elements: Name Series, Dulles–Herter Series, Eisenhower Diaries, Ann Whitman (ACW) Diaries, NSC Records, Miscellaneous Records, Cabinet Papers, Legislative Meetings, International Meetings, Administrative Series, and International File.
- Dulles Papers
Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington,
- Papers of General Nathan F. Twining, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1957–1960.
- Papers of General Thomas D. White, Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, 1957–1961.
- Twining Papers
National Archives and Records Administration,
Department of State Records, Record Group
- Indexed Central Files
- Documents from the indexed central files of the Department for the years 1958–1960 are indicated by a decimal file number in the first footnote. Among the most useful of these files in the preparation of this volume were 033.1100, 320.11, 330, 396.1–GE, 396.12–GE, 611.00, 611.0012, 700.5, 700.5611, 711.5, and 711.5611.
- Atomic Energy Files: Lot 57 D 688
- Consolidated collection of documentation on atomic energy policy for 1944–1962, maintained principally by the Special Assistant to the Secretary of State on Atomic Energy Affairs but also by other offices in the Department of State.
- Conference Files: Lot 64 D 559
- Collection of documentation of official visits by heads of government and foreign ministers to the United States and on major international conferences attended by the Secretary of State for 1959, maintained by the Executive Secretariat of the Department of State.
- Conference Files: Lot 64 D 560
- Collection of documentation of official visits by heads of government and foreign ministers to the United States and on major internatioinal conferences attended by the Secretary of State for 1960, maintained by the Executive Secretariat of the Department of State.
- EUR/RPM Files: Lot 64 D 444
- Collection of documentation on NATO and NATO countries for the years 1950–1961, as maintained by the Office of Atlantic Political and Military Affairs, Bureau of European Affairs.
- G/PM Files: Lot 64 D 341
- Miscellaneous Top Secret subject files maintained by the Combined Policy Staff of the Office of Politico-Military Affairs for the years 1958–1961.
- Presidential Correspondence: Lot 66 D 204
- Exchanges of correspondence between the President and heads of foreign governments for 1953–1964, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
- Secretary’s Memoranda of Conversation: Lot 64 D 199
- Chronological collection of the Secretary of State’s memoranda of conversation for 1953–1960, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/P Files: Lot 67 D 548
- Subject files, country files, chronological files, documents, drafts, and related correspondence of the Policy Planning Staff for 1957–1961.
S/P–NSC Files: Lot 62 D 1
- Serial and subject file of NSC documents and correspondence for 1948–1960, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–NSC Files: Lot 63 D 351
- Serial master file of NSC documents and correspondence and related Department of State memoranda for 1947–1961, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–NSC (Miscellaneous) Files: Lot 66 D 95
- Administrative and miscellaneous NSC files, including records of action, for 1947–1963, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–OCB Files: Lot 61 D 385
- Master set of the administrative and country files of the Operations Coordinating Board for the years 1953–1960, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
- Indexed Central Files
Joint Chiefs of Staff Records, Record Group
- Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff..
Record Group 273
- Records of the National Security Council, Official Meeting Minutes File, and Policy Papers File.
- Department of State Records, Record Group 59
Naval Historical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Papers of Admiral Arleigh A. Burke, Chiefof Naval Operations, 1955–1961.
- Burke Papers
Washington National Records Center, Suitland,
- Record Group 59, Conference Files: FRC 83–0068
- See Department of State Records under National Archives and Records Administration above.
- Record Group 330, OASD/ISA Files:
FRC 64 A 2170
- Country and general files of the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (International Security Affairs) for the year 1960.
- Record Group 59, Conference Files: FRC 83–0068
Official Documentary Collections and Narrative
- U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. Documents on Disarmament, 1960 (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1961)
- U.S. Defense Nuclear Agency. Operation Hardtack I, 1958, December 1, 1982, report number DNA 6038F
- U.S. Department of State. American Foreign Policy: Current Documents, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960 (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office)
- ———. Department of State Bulletin, 1958, 1959, 1960 (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office)
- ———. Documents on Disarmament, 1945–1959. 2 vols. (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1960)
- ———. The Need for Further Research in Seismology (July 1959)
- U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, History and Research Division, Headquarters Strategic Air Command. History of the Joint Strategic Target Planning Staff: Background and Preparation of SIOP–62. (Undated)
- U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1958, 1959, 1960–61 (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office)
Memoirs, Autobiographies, Diaries
- Kistiakowsky, George B. A Scientist at the White House: The Private Diary of President Eisenhower’s Special Assistant for Science and Technology (Cambridge, Mass., 1976)
- Macmillan, Harold. Pointing the Way, 1959–1961 (London: Macmillan, 1972)
- Taylor, Maxwell D. The Uncertain Trumpet (New York: Harper, 1960)