158. Telegram From the Department of State to the Mission at Berlin 1
587. At Vienna meeting four Foreign Ministers evening May 14 Secretary raised question road tolls Berlin with Molotov, saying US viewed matter seriously and he hoped would be possible for Soviet Government to normalize situation.2 Secretary also recalled 1949 Paris Agreement and hoped Soviet Government would facilitate reestablishment normal facilities between Berlin and Federal Republic. Meeting Ambassadors May 20 also mentioned. British and French supported Secretary.
In reply Molotov stated Soviet views were known to Secretary and he hoped meeting would take place.
Memorandum this conversation sent by pouch from Department.3
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, 762.0221/5–1755. Secret. Repeated to Bonn.↩
- Secretary Dulles was in Vienna for the signing of the Austrian State Treaty; for documentation on his meetings with Molotov and his British and French counterparts, see vol. v, pp. 1 ff.↩
- A memorandum of this conversation is in Department of State, Conference Files: Lot 60 D 627, CF 445.↩