469. Despatch From the Embassy in Thailand to the Department of State 1
- Embassy Telegram No. 2327, March 23, 19552
- Transmittal of Copy of Ambassador’s Letter to Prime Minister re Thai Economic Policy
The referenced telegram recorded the conversation which I had on March 18 with Prime Minister Pibulsonggram in which I outlined some of the measures in the economic field which the Government of Thailand might appropriately take for this purpose. The Embassy and USOM had given considerable thought to this subject and the recommendations contained in the enclosed letter written to the Prime Minister at the latter’s request consequently constitute our combined best judgment. They were favorably received by the Prime Minister when orally outlined to him although the extent to which they may be translated into government policy and action remain to be seen.
I may remark, however, that recent measures of the Thai Government provide a basis for greater optimism in this respect. The most notable of these, reported in Embassy despatch No. 423, March 2,3 have been Cabinet approval of the proposals of the Minister of Finance sharply to reduce government expenditures under the 1955 budget and of the Minister of Finance’s request for earmarking of part of the U.S. defense support funds to finance a study by U.S. fiscal experts of means by which Thailand’s system of public finance and fiscal management may be improved.
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, 792.5–MSP/3–2455. Confidential.↩
- Supra .↩
- Despatch 423 was a 25-page appraisal of budget and financial data relating to Thailand for the period 1953–1955. Additional supporting detail was provided in nine enclosures attached to the despatch. (Department of State, Central Files, 892.10/3–255)↩
- Not found in Department of State files. An earlier draft of the letter, dated December 2, is Ibid., 792.5/12–254. The letter was based on a December 1, 1954, memorandum from Raymond T. Moyer, Regional Director for Far East, FOA, to Stassen, printed in Foreign Relations, 1952–1954, vol. XII, Part 2, p. 738.↩
- Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.↩