List of Sources
Department of State
- Indexed Central Files. Documents from the indexed central files of the Department for the years 1955–1957 are indicated by a decimal file number in the first footnote. Among the most useful of these files in the preparation of this volume were 110.12–HE, 711.5, 740.5, and 741.5.
Lot Files. Reviewed much more extensively
than the central files were the lot files of the Department, which
are decentralized files created by operating areas. A list of the
lot files used in or consulted for this volume follows:
- Files retained by the Bureau of Intelligence and Research.
INR Files: Lot 58 D 776
- Miscellaneous files of the Bureau of Intelligence and Research for the years 1946–1957.
- Files of National Intelligence Estimates, Special Estimates, and Special National Intelligence Estimates, retained by the Directorate for Regional Research in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research.
PPS Files: Lot 66 D 70
- Subject files, country files, chronological files, documents, drafts, and related correspondence of the Policy Planning Staff for 1955.
PPS Files: Lot 66 D 487
- Subject files, country files, chronological files, documents, drafts, and related correspondence of the Policy Planning Staff for 1956.
PPS Files: Lot 67 D 548
- Subject files, country files, chronological files, documents, drafts, and related correspondence of the Policy Planning Staff for the years 1957–1961.
S/P–NSC Files: Lot 61 D 167
- Serial file of memoranda relating to National Security Council questions for the years 1950–1961, as maintained by the Policy Planning Staff.
S/P–NSC Files: Lot 62 D 1
- Serial and subject master file of National Security Council documents and correspondence for the years 1948–1961, as maintained by the Policy Planning Staff.
S/S–NSC Files: Lot 63 D 351
- Serial master file of National Security Council documents and correspondence and related Department of State memoranda for the years 1947–1961, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–NSC Files: Lot 66 D 148
- Miscellaneous files concerning subjects considered by the National Security Council during the years 1949–1962, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–NSC (Miscellaneous) Files: Lot 66 D 95
- Administrative and miscellaneous National Security Council documentation, including NSC Records of Action, for the years 1947–1963, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–OCB Files: Lot 61 D 385
- Master set of the administrative and country files of the Operations Coordinating Board for the years 1953–1960, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–OCB Files: Lot 62 D 430
- Master files of the Operations Coordinating Board for the years 1953–1960, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
S/S–RD Files: Lot 71 D 171
- Restricted data files maintained by the Executive Secretariat for the years 1957–1967.
- INR Files
Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kansas
- Dulles Papers
- Papers of John Foster Dulles, 1952–1959, including General Memoranda of Conversation, Meetings with the President, General Telephone Conversations, and White House Telephone Conversations. Dulles was Secretary of State, 1953–1959.
- Hagerty Papers
- Papers of James C. Hagerty, Press Secretary to the President, 1953–1961.
- Herter Papers
- Papers of Christian A. Herter, 1957–1961. Herter was Under Secretary of State, 1957–1959, and Secretary of State, 1959–1961.
- National Security Council Staff Records
- Disaster File.
- President’s Daily Appointments
- Records of the appointments of Dwight D. Eisenhower as President, 1953–1961.
- Project “CleanUp”
- Project “Clean Up” collection. Records of Gordon Gray, Robert Cutler, Henry R. McPhee, and Andrew J. Goodpaster, 1953–1961.
- Special Assistant for National Security Affairs Records
- Records of the Office of the Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs (Robert Cutler, Dillon Anderson, and Gordon Gray), 1952–1961.
- Staff Secretary Records
- Records of the Office of the Staff Secretary (Paul T. Carroll, Andrew J. Goodpaster, L. Arthur Minnich, and Christopher H. Russell), 1952–1961.
- Whitman File
- Papers of Dwight D. Eisenhower as President of the United States, 1953–1961, as maintained by his Personal Secretary, Ann C. Whitman. The Whitman File includes the following elements: the Name Series, the Dulles-Herter Series, Eisenhower Diaries, Ann Whitman (ACW) Diaries, National Security Council Records, Miscellaneous Records, Cabinet Papers, Legislative Meetings, International Meetings, Administration Series, and the International File.
- Dulles Papers
National Archives and Records Administration,
- National Archives Record Group 218, Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- National Archives Record Group 273, Records of the National Security Council, Official Meeting Minutes File.
- JCS Records
Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington,
- Twining Papers
- Papers of General Nathan F. Twining, Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, 1955–1957, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1957–1960.
- Twining Papers
Naval Historical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Burke Papers
- Papers of Admiral Arleigh A. Burke, Chief of Naval Operations, 1955–1961.
- Radford Papers
- Papers of Admiral Arthur W. Radford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1953–1957.
- Burke Papers
Official Documentary Collections
- U.S. Department of State. Department of State Bulletin, vols. XXXII–XXXVII. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1955–1957.
- U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1955, 1956, and 1957. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1958 and 1959.
- U.S. Congress, Senate, Organizing for National Security: Inquiry of the Subcommittee on National Policy Machinery, Senator Henry M. Jackson, Chairman, for the Committee on Government Operations, United States Senate. 3 vols. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1961.
Memoirs, Autobiographies, Diaries
Note: The publications listed below were consulted at the time this volume was prepared in 1978, 1979, and 1980. The Department of State takes no responsibility for their accuracy nor endorses their interpretation of the events.
- Adams, Sherman. Firsthand Report: The Story of the Eisenhower Administration. New York: Harper, 1961.
- Berding, Andrew Henry Thomas. Dulles on Diplomacy. Princeton, N.J.: P. Van Norstrand, 1965.
- ———. The Making of Foreign Policy. Washington: Potomac Books, 1966.
- Cutler, Robert. No Time For Rest. Boston: Little, Brown, 1965.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. The White House Years. Mandate for Change, 1953–1956. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1963.
- ———. The White House Years. Waging Peace, 1956–1961. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1965.
- Hughes, Emmet John. The Ordeal of Power: A Political Memoir of the Eisenhower Years. New York: Atheneum, 1963.
- Jurika, Stephen, Jr. From Pearl Harbor to Vietnam: The Memoirs of Admiral Arthur W. Radford . Stanford, Calif.: Hoover Institute Press, 1980.
- Killian, James R., Jr. Sputnik, Scientists, and Eisenhower: A Memoir of the First Special Assistant to the President for Science and Technology. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1977.
- Larson, Arthur. Eisenhower: The President Nobody Knew. New York: Charles Scribners, 1968.
- Strauss, Lewis L. Men and Decisions. New York: Doubleday, 1962.