750G.00/9–2654: Telegram

No. 286
The Acting Secretary of State to the Embassy in the United Kingdom 1
top secret

1753. For Thompson. Presence London both Secretary and FonMin Martino offers excellent occasion for announcement of decision on Trieste.2

As we see it with the information supplied you by Brosio that Italians will take choice on territorial question of larger wedge without compensation subject to pro forma suggestion regarding slight deviation of line in rockpile area (which we do not take seriously), and financial solution of cultural house difficulty, there actually is no important reason for delay in excess of few days in making announcement of agreement. We realize that agreed map must be prepared, the minor school issue settled, and the drafting changes you described to Murphy must be made. We would appreciate firm effort to conclude these while Secretary and Martino are in London, understanding that announcement cannot be made before text of agreement is signed or initialed.

We understand that Velebit will be seeing Kardelj in Brussels on September 28 or 29. We hope that Wallner may be able to stimulate [Page 561] Bebler and Kardelj to move rapidly in the direction suggested above and try to meet this timetable. If necessary in that connection Wallner might drop an appropriate hint that we are studying a possible improvement in the wheat offer which would be of advantage to Yugoslavia. He shld also emphasize the forthright manner in which Yugo financial demands regarding cultural house are being met. On this point it is appreciated Italians have not given final word, and we are aware of Italian political considerations involved, but we feel these are not controlling. Wallner’s language to Bebler should be couched accordingly.3

Naturally whatever Amb Luce might do in urging speed on Itals would be appreciated. It seems to us that Ital Govt position is strengthened as result of confidence vote Saturday4 to a point where this would be most propitious time for announcement of successful conclusion of Trieste negots. Luce shld urge prompt agreement by Itals on cultural house question now that US is providing necessary funds.5

  1. Drafted by Murphy and cleared with Frank M. Horton (CWO). Repeated to Rome for Luce, to Belgrade for Wallner, and to Trieste
  2. Dulles was in London Sept. 28–Oct. 3, 1954, to attend the Nine-Power Conference. For documentation regarding this conference, see vol. v, Part 2, pp. 1294 ff. Dulles paid a courtesy call on Foreign Minister Martino on Sept. 27 and the two men briefly discussed Trieste, among other matters. Dulles told Martino that the proposed settlement was in effect the same as the Oct. 8, 1953, U.S.–U.K. announcement and that the Italians could make domestic capital out of it. Martino confirmed that agreement had definitely been reached and that the Italian Government was hoping the announcement could be made on Oct. 5. (Secretary’s Memoranda of Conversation, lot 64 D 199, “September 1954”)
  3. In telegram 252 from Belgrade, Sept. 28, Wallner said that Bebler had been in Brioni until that day and in view of Yugoslav assurances and Thompson’s progress with Velebit, did not feel further representations at the Foreign Office would have been useful. He also said that mention of a possible improvement in the wheat offer should be made “only if we run into substantive trouble and not for timing alone.” (750G.00/9–2854)
  4. Sept. 25.
  5. In telegram 1223 from Rome, Sept. 27, Luce noted that on Sept. 25 she urged Casardi to help speed up the signing of the agreement and that Durbrow made a similar approach that day. Casardi said that under no circumstances would the cultural house problem be permitted to hold up the agreement. (750G.00/9–2754)