Conference files, lot 60 D 627, CP 364
Working Draft Memorandum Prepared by the British Delegation1
[NPC (54) 11]
[NPC (54) 11]
[London,] September 29, 1954.
The 9 Governments are agreed: [Page 1336]
- that the German Defence Contribution to N.A.T.O. shall be 12 divisions, 1350 aircraft and naval units, of the same types as agreed for the E.D.C.
- that these German forces shall be placed under SACEUR
- that subsequent variations in the German Defence Contribution will be subject to current N.A.T.O. procedure.
- that their forces placed under SACEUR on the Continent shall be deployed in accordance with N.A.T.O. strategy;
- that the location of such forces shall be determined by SACEUR in consultation with the national authorities concerned;
- that such forces shall not be moved on the Continent nor used on the Continent without his consent.
- that their forces placed under SACEUR on the Continent shall be integrated in the interests of military efficiency.
- that the level and effectiveness of their forces on the Continent, and the armaments, equipment, logistics and reserve formations of those forces shall be inspected by SACEUR.
- that their representatives, in concert with SACEUR and the Secretary-General of N.A.T.O., will draw up in Paris detailed proposals for approval by the North Atlantic Council, to give effect to the agreements recorded above.
- According to a cover sheet attached to the source text, this document was circulated by the British Delegation during the Third Plenary meeting of Sept. 29.↩