270. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Washington, July 1, 1954, 2002Z.
07377. Ref LINC 4579.2
- Hqs agrees with your concern on score that situation has deteriorated somewhat and may deteriorate further, particularly if agreement cannot be achieved soonest [less than 1 line of source text not declassified]. However as we have discussed with you on telephone this morning we must concentrate our energies at this time on supporting ODACID efforts achieve such agreement and this will require pressure to be brought to bear on both parties. JMBLUG is under instructions to do this and it is our purpose have Ontrich available for additional arm twisting Calligeris if deemed necessary by JMBLUG.
- For your further background info and guidance, it is present policy position that Calligeris should be urged by all who have influence on him to accept either one of two positions; viz., command of military forces or presidency of junta, but not both, and that it is deemed preferable he accept command military forces. We understand it is being pointed out to him that in this position he will really hold the power and will be able to enforce appropriate Communist cleanups and bring his trusted men into high army positions.
- In any event it is crystal clear to us and you should understand that for us to take different line than JMBLUG would be highly confusing and very dangerous. Best way to avoid this is let JMBLUG call the signals and we act solely in supporting role. Hence LINC should not issue any instructions or advice to Calligeris or PBSUCCESS personnel re this aspect of [matter?] without prior and distinct instructions from hqs. ODACID is carrying the ball now having been brought officially into picture as result request use good offices effectuate cessation hostilities and arrival at agreement.
- Since dictating above your cancellation message (LINC 4582)3 arrived indicating you intend resubmit.4 However we dispatching this message in order inform you ODACID policy position.
- Recommend you send substance of above policy line to SHERWOOD.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 142, Folder 5. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by Wisner.↩
- Dated July 1, not printed. (Ibid., Box 6, Folder 7) A handwritten note on the telegram reads: “This is canceled as per LINC 4582.”↩
- See footnote 2 above.↩
- In telegram LINC 4579 (see footnote 2 above), PBSUCCESS Headquarters had taken a very tough line: “Believe situation deteriorating rapidly and only above positive action will save our position. LINC does not have confidence in [name not declassified] or his followers to clean out and control Communists who are deeply entrenched throughout social structure. Only leaders or front persons have been removed thus far and we must assume Soviet will use maximum effort to regain its hold.”↩