269. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
4577. 1. Desire to state for your consideration that failure to back Calligeris strongly at this time resulting in loss of his position and assets would seriously jeopardize ultimate success in effectively eliminating Communists from WSBURNT.
2. [name not declassified] has no claim to authority for popular support. Calligeris has become symbol of anti communism and has demonstrated support from people. For all we know this could still be a maneuver to trap and dispose of Calligeris and must remember Communist regime leaders are all waiting in asylum. For what? We note none were arrested.
3. Urge we use every influence to support Calligeris to fullest at this moment, not only to avoid further bloodshed which would inevitably result but to ensure final success of our undertaking.2
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 6, Folder 7. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS.↩
- Pending word from Washington, staffers at PBSUCCESS Headquarters had to temper their support for Castillo Armas in a telegram to the Mission Broadcasting Station: “basic agreement contained no mention of commitment to support any one person for top position only to attain objectives of freeing country. While we may desire and do all possible to place Calligeris on top this is a policy matter above and apart from PBSUCCESS jurisdiction.” (Telegram 4598 from PBSUCCESS Headquarters to the Mission Broadcasting Station, July 2; ibid.)↩