256. Telegram From the Embassy in Guatemala to the Department of State1
1133. Pass Defense. Diaz at 11:45 this morning June 28 issued following Decree establishing Junta consisting of himself and Colonels Jose Angel Sanchez and Elfego Monzon.
“Considering that it is desirable for stability of situation brought about by resignation of Colonel Jacobo Arbenz Guzman from position of constitutional president of republic2 to give to new government broader composition which will lead to representation of other forces and that for these reasons it is convenient to bring into executive Colonels Jose Angel Sanchez and Elfego Monzon. Therefore, decrees:
- A governmental Junta be constituted for conducting administration of nation.
- Governmental Junta be constituted as follows: Colonel Carlos Enrique Diaz, who will serve as chief of armed forces; Colonel Jose Angel Sanchez, who will serve as delegate of Junta in Ministry of National Defense; and Colonel Elfego Monzon who will be delegate of Junta in Ministry of Interior.
- This decree enters into effect day of its publication in Official Gazette.“3
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 175, Folder 1. Unclassified; Priority.↩
- Arbenz relinquished the presidency to Army Chief of Staff Colonel Díaz June 27.↩
- The first act of the new junta was to declare the Communist Party illegal. (Telegram 1134 from Guatemala City, June 28; 9:40 p.m.; ibid.)↩