209. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
[place not declassified], June 19, 1954, 2220Z.
4078. Re: GUAT 906.2
- We believe issue is clear: are we going to stand by and see last hope of free people in WSBURNT submerged to depths of Communist oppression and atrocity until we send PBPRIME armed force against enemy as we surely must do sooner or later or are we going to authorize maximum use of our assets to take calculated risk of defection WSBURNT army?
- Is it not more serious to fail to win having already gone so far than it is to win even though our enemies may try to tar US with intervention? Is not our intervention now under these circumstances far more palatable than by Marines? This is the same enemy we fought in Korea and may fight tomorrow in Indo-China. He knows no quarters and gives none. He is hiding behind Guats on his side and we on ours. He sent the Alfhem arms we sent token gear.
- Our plans called for internal strength, the enemy ruthlessly eliminated or suppressed this hope. We tried forcing defection by propaganda and token force of armed irregulars. Unless we revert now to real determination to win, our clandestine propaganda effort of pretended strength will if not already become known for what it is. We have 300 men, some already deserting, the enemy’s strength remains unimpaired.
- Our basic plan although altered still remains feasible providing we use our one asset over the enemy—air power. Unless we show real strength within 24 hours we run great risk of Galvez turning against SYNCARP or WSBURNT attacking WSHOOFS. Osorio is still fence sitting because he has not received assurance ODYOKE is determined to see Calligeris succeed. [name not declassified] is facing the enemy’s charges alone and offers his air force to bomb WSBURNT. He is willing go all the way to victory.
- View above and ref msg LINCOLN respectfully
requests Hqs move soonest to authorize following specific course of
- Authority to conduct flak suppression attacks on AA in Adam or elsewhere where obstructing ground progress.
- Authority to bomb Hank and other garrisons later if necessary as example of strength and determination of anti-Communists.
- Authority to tell army that all who oppose anti-Communists and shoot at them to defend communism will be shot or bombed.
- Must emphasize again decision must come soon before our mythical strength becomes known to enemy and air remains our only power.