208. Telegram From the CIA Chief of Station in Guatemala to the Central Intelligence Agency1
Guatemala City, June 19, 1954, 2042Z.
906. From JMBLUG to Ascham.
- There is no further use moralizing about or with [name not declassified]. We have gone as far as we can with talk. [name not declassified] is what he is. He has said what he needs. We may regret or dislike or disagree with his request but if we refuse it, we are abandoning what ever potential [name not declassified] may have and we can not afford that since Calligeris assets are too small.
- [name not declassified] knows what effect bombs will have on the Latin temperament including his own. Aerial acrobatics are not the same thing.
- Meanwhile the govt and Commies are arresting and killing. Martinez del Rosal got a bullet in the center of his forehead. They shot Perfecto Villegas and then ran a truck over him. Kaufman had his feet carbonized before he died.
- While this goes on, we fail to bomb. This is what William James called “atrocious harmlessness”.
- If we bomb, that does not guarantee [name not declassified] will act but then we will have done our utmost. And there is no danger of a boomerang. At this stage, both friend and foe respect force alone.
- We have already missed the moment to bomb, mainly last night. We still have a chance today and tomorrow.
- Many people have been to see me saying one bomb on palace would do the job.
- Bomb repeat Bomb.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 91, Folder 6. Secret; Operational Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida.↩