198. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the CIA Station in Guatemala1
3977. 1. All planning heretofore predicated upon basic premise that armed Communist workmen would be denied ability merge on Adam. Blockading forces were designed serve this purpose.
2. Govt action in organizing mass public demonstration 1700 June 18 now believed to be their counter-measure to ensure maximum strength inside city before D-day.[Page 344]
3. Imperative you transmit following soonest to [name not declassified] after explaining above.
- Army must be made known to recognize that this move constitutes Communist threat to launch Bogotazo and overwhelm army.
- Practically impossible forestall liberation movement from attacking 2020 June 18. Therefore army must be urged to take immediate measures allegedly against subversive forces, erecting street blockades throughout center of city and searching all civilians for firearms. Armed patrols must be in readiness to prevent disorders. Army must be prepared to fire on rioters and take strong measures without equivocation.
- Imperative [name not declassified] be impressed with fact that our intelligence indicates this is a Communist maneuver to sack the city and seize control over army which it distrusts. If preventive measures are not taken soonest army will pass to Communist control on this date.
- Do everything in your power to cancel meeting. Disperse crowds. Deny assembly of all groups. These measures must be taken at once.
4. FYI: Above predicated on deduction only from available info, however, important you realize this capability exists and exercise every means to counteract it. If successful in convincing army of foregoing any action which it would take would be against Communists and therefore a step in direction of supporting anti-Communists. This then could be [name not declassified] first test.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 6, Folder 1. Secret; Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩