197. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
3965. 1. Evidence available convinces us of following:
- Internal Calligeris org has been demoralized, frightened into inactivity or badly disorganized by Commie police efforts and arrests.
- Consequently opposition left with Calligeris external assets plus possibility [name not declassified] move.
- External assets now in position where will probably move regardless what we do. Only action available to us is either withdraw support or attempt delay move without certainty effective for very brief period, possibly day or two at most.
- Delay of such brief period would gain nothing as too short for reorganization and would just give additional time for Commies brutalize [Page 343]opposition and pick up few remaining assets such as sab leaders, organizers, ROS and teams from KMPAJAMA.
- [name not declassified] move will either occur momentarily or in our opinion he will be arrested or otherwise eliminated.
- Shock troops sufficiently large to create considerable impact particularly when supported by air drops. Fighters over capital also will have substantial effect. Tros with shock troops now been received will provide some information as to progress.
2. Have decided therefore that should move as planned night of 18 June on theory that resulting activities will force [name not declassified] and army hand if has not already acted. Also Calligeris units may overcome one or two garrisons on initial impact which reported (without confirmation) as weak from morale point of view. This could provide beachhead for rallying opposition.
3. If above fails we are still better off than pulling out and having Calligeris move on his own or assuming most unlikely that he too pulls out. In any case long term effort will become essential and in no case will present assets be any value over long haul. It is thus calculated risk but consciously undertaken as providing only present hope of success while if unsuccessful losing nothing of future value.
4. Moreover the move will provide evidence of active opposition regime and its inability to maintain its position merely through unopposed police methods.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 6, Folder 10. Secret; Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS.↩