185. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
3829. 1. After thorough review of all aspects of K Program LINC has reached following conclusions:
- Opposition to regime had and should have two strings to its bow, one Calligeris and plan now approved and being followed by his assets; the other [name not declassified] working independently through high army officers. Both efforts should be tried since they do not become mutually exclusive until possibly after deposition present regime and even then conflict not unavoidable or even necessary.
- As already approved the Calligeris effort will proceed without abatement.
- [name not declassified] possibility had developed to point where it is believed he will not make affirmative move provided some internal WSBURNT turmoil develops and provided he can be given reasonably certain assurance that if he in fact overthrows Arbenz and is the first to establish a de facto government in the capital he will be officially recognized by PBPRIME.
- Calligeris movement should provide needed internal turmoil. Assume then that [name not declassified] can provide capability to establish himself as de facto regime in capital, can he be given assurance of PBPRIME recognition realizing that at same moment Calligeris may be pursuing successful campaign in numerous areas outside capital? Assuming Calligeris defeat or assuming [name not declassified] failure there is no problem.
2. LINC recommends that PBPRIME should take advantage all possible movements capable achieving major target namely overthrow present regime and elimination Communists. Consequently should urge [name not declassified] take action. If authority given, LINC can through Page ESQUIRE get word to [name not declassified] which believe he will accept regarding recognition provided on his own he gets control govt in capital first. Such assurance however should not be given unless recognition in fact given immediately provided conditions met.
3. What might occur thereafter between [name not declassified] and Calligeris is an internal WSBURNT affair.[Page 332]
4. This is matter in LINC. Opinion of utmost importance so appreciate advise soonest. Request your concurrence.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 142, Folder 5. Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Chief of the CIA Station in Guatemala.↩