158. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Guatemala City, May 21, 1954, 1003Z.
621. Following for Whiting from JMBLUG:
- Am sure you aware of type of equipment landed in WSBURNT. We also have reports at least 1 more ship with ammo is approaching these shores. It seems to me that time has come for drastic action. The psychological situation is such here that it hard put into words. Everyone is expecting something to be done. At same time everyone believes, whether rightly or wrongly, that OAS will not be our solution. I have no objection to this step which might be taken simultaneously but I should like to renew with all the power I have the suggestion and the urgent plea that sabotage teams be immediately dispatched with orders to create hell.
- Should this ammo ship arrive and its cargo be dispatched nothing short of direct military intervention will succeed.
- I want you to know above is written not in panic but with cool deadly determination that freedom shall not perish in this country.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 8, Folder 6. Secret; Routine; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS; INTEL. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩