156. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Guatemala City, May 20, 1954, 1309Z.
605. Re: DIR 01050.2
- Available sources tending indicate many WSBURNT army officers, though as soldiers glad receive
arms, have grave misgivings about recent shipment. Among reasons for
- Has dramatically demonstrated closeness of govt to Soviet.
- Fear that present mission will be replaced by hordes of Soviet or satellite instructors who might do anything including displacing even the WSBURNT officers.
- That shipment is shocking evidence that Soviet and Commies intend completely take over WSBURNT.
- That ODYOKE cannot tolerate situation and will be forced take drastic action with terrible consequences to WSBURNT.
- We will try exploit uneasiness by rumor, black propaganda, etc.
- Indications are many officers would turn against govt if strong dramatic anti govt action starts.
- [name not declassified] told ESQUIRE night 18 May that SMILAX now approachable. B–2. Sources para 1 and 3 ESPERANCE, ESPERANCE-1, ESPERANCE-3. Eval: B–3.