120. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the CIA Station in [place not declassified]1
Washington, April 6, 1954, 2256Z.
45322. To: [place not declassified] (for SKILLET from Whiting). Re: [telegram indicator not declassified] 071; LINC 1585.2
- Approached Air Force headquarters in effort obtain approval and assistance for implementation your recommendation. Air Force points out that probable reason for local inability take action is existence of clause in basic contractual agreement forbidding U.S. military mission engage any intelligence activities. This clause likewise inserted similar military assistance agreements numerous other countries with result that any action WSHOOFS which could be construed as violating this clause would prejudice position and standing military missions in other areas as well as WSHOOFS.
- In view these circumstances, Air Force disinclined instruct ref identity A this matter and in addition there may be problem of providing properly qualified expert to do job.
- Our best recommendation is that you endeavor deal with negative reply in manner best calculated gain some credit by pointing out [Page 228]that inability comply with request is measure of our good faith, living up to strict terms contractual agreement. You might also request that if some other method of meeting problem could be suggested by WSHOOFS authorities this would receive most favorable consideration possible. For your own information, a request coming from head of WSHOOFS government would, to some extent, mitigate possibility damaging consequences of affirmative response to request. However, technical problem of effect on status military missions other countries would remain.
- Greatly regret our inability help you solve Air Force angle this problem. Concerning para 5-B of reference, [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] hereby requested submit on urgent basis any plan or proposal which it considers feasible to this end, including possible utilization some KUBARK agent assets. This point not to be discussed with WSHOOFS officials pending Headquarters consideration.