The Secretary of State to the Embassy in the United Kingdom
2959. Tentative list of topics for coal discussions reur 3745 of July 8 follows for your and Brit Govt info and comment.
Restoration of German Coal Production
A. Discussion of Specific Goal Production Problems.
- The assurance of food, in appropriate quantity and quality, to mine workers and their families.
- Mine worker housing.
- Mine worker incentives.
- Consumers goods and special food items,
- Wages and social security.
- Mine supplies and equipment for internal and export needs.
- Labor recruiting.
- Labor relations and collective bargaining.
- Public relations and publicity.
- The North German Coal Control and other MG agencies.
- Policy, including development and mining policy
- The authority of management, mine discipline and denazification.
- The future tenure of management and problems of stewardship.
- Elimination of uncertainty in the ownership status of the mines.
- The financial condition of the mines and the problem of German internal coal prices.
- Export price of coal.
- The control of coal consumption.
B. Discussion of the Responsibility of the Bizonal German Economy for the Goal Industry and of Necessary Import Programs.
- Requirements of the Coal Industry.
- Consumers goods
- Mines Supplies and Equipment
- Building materials
- Availability of required supplies in the Bizonal German economy.
- Procurement and financing of necessary imports.
- Administrative machinery and measures necessary to ensure fulfillment by the Bizonal German economy of the requirements of the coal industry and workers.
This has been sent on July 5 to General Clay for his comments, which have not yet been received. The agenda may be changed in light of General Clay’s and your comments.
Obviously the discussions will involve consideration of any questions clearly related to Bizonal Coal problems. We hope Brit will also come prepared to tell us outlook for increasing their domestic production. Not intended that these discussions shall in any way cut across or conflict with proposed general European discussion in Paris.