Marshall Mission Files, Lot 54–D270
Chinese Government Proposal on November 1110
November 11, 1946
Termination of Hostilities
- Commanders of forces in close contact or engaged in actual fighting will immediately direct their troops to cease fighting and establish liaison with the opposing commanders, pending the arrival of a field team.
- Adjustment if found necessary to be made for troops in close contact or actually engaged in fighting will be directed by the field team on the ground by requiring the withdrawal for specified distances of one or both forces according to the circumstances. The local situation believed to have existed at noon of November 11, 1946, will be the basis for determining the readjustment of the troops involved.
- Disagreements among the field teams, the Advance Section of
Executive Headquarters in Changchun, and in Peiping will be settled
according to the following stipulations:
The Field Teams
- In case of disagreement regarding matters of urgency, the American representative of the field team may render his own report of the situation as he sees it direct to Executive Headquarters in Changchun or Peiping requesting instructions.
- In case of disagreement, the American representative of the field team is authorized to make decision as to where and when the field team will move within his area to conduct investigations regarding military activities. Regarding the places of investigation, transportation difficulties should not be permitted to prejudice or delay the movement of the teams.
- In case of disagreement on matters relating to cessation of hostilities and separation of forces the American representative of the field team is authorized to issue orders in the name of the Executive Headquarters to the field commanders on both sides to stop fighting at once and to effect the separation of the forces.
- The area assigned to each field team will be stipulated by Executive Headquarters.
Executive Headquarters in Changchun and
- In case of disagreement the senior American official of Executive Headquarters in Peiping or Changchun may render his own report to Executive Headquarters in Peiping or the Committee of Three based on the situation as he sees it requesting instructions.
- In case of disagreement regarding the implementation of orders or instructions from the higher level, the senior American official of the Executive Headquarters in Peiping or Changchun is authorized to direct the execution of that order or instruction unless amended or rescinded by the higher level itself.
- The reorganization of the army and the disposition of the troops will be discussed and settled in the Committee of Three at once.
- Presented to informal meeting of the Committee of Three; see supra.↩