Memorandum by the Joint Chiefs of Staff to the Secretary of War (Stimson) and the Secretary of the Navy (Forrestal)3
Subject: Swedish proposal to alleviate Norwegian distress caused by the Germans.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff recommend that the Secretary of War and the Secretary of the Navy advise the Secretary of State in the sense of the letter attached. The Joint Chiefs of Staff are of the opinion that in the present instance military considerations are of greatest importance and the attached reply has been written from this standpoint.
Vice Admiral, U.S. Navy, Deputy Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet, Deputy Chief of Naval Operations
- State-War-Navy Coordinating Committee.↩
- This memorandum, together with its attachment, circulated in the State-War-Navy Coordinating Committee as document SWNCC 24, dated 10 February 1945.↩
- Foreign Relations, 1944, vol. ii, p. 296.↩
- Not found in Department files.↩
- Foreign Relations, 1944, vol. ii, p. 293.↩