The Minister in Switzerland ( Harrison ) to the Secretary of State
[Received 5:46 p.m.]
2132. Foreign Office official just telephones that according to telegram from Swiss Legation Berlin representative that Legation is informed verbally by German Minister Albrecht1 that German Government would be disposed to leave in camps all POWs2 as Allies advance provided Allied Governments would obligate themselves not to return to active duty against Germany such POWs. Foreign Office promises written aide-mémoire confirming foregoing.
Repeated to London for Murphy3 to Paris for Widewing B4 to Spaatz5 for McDonald6 attention Bradford and SHAEF for General Barker7 and to Caserta.
- Erich Albrecht, Head of Legal Department of Foreign Ministry.↩
- Prisoners of War.↩
- Robert D. Murphy, United States Political Adviser for Germany.↩
- Military code designation for Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Force.↩
- Gen. Carl Spaatz, Commander of U.S. Strategic Air Forces in Europe.↩
- Brig. Gen. George C. McDonald, Director of Intelligence, United States Strategic Tactical Air Force, Europe.↩
- Maj. Gen. Ray W. Barker, Chief of Division of Personnel at Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Force, Europe.↩