The Chargé in China (Atcheson) to the Secretary of State
[Received 12:23 p.m.]
1884. As indicated in press reports, there has been put in progress the organization of a Chinese War Production Board headed by Wong Wen-hao, Minister of Economic Affairs, with the following departments and heads thereof:
- Priorities: Peng Hsueh-pei, concurrently Vice-Director of WPB and Deputy Secretary General of Central Planning Board.
- Stores: Chang Tsu-kai, concurrently Associate Director Industrial and Mining Adjustment Administration, Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- Manufacture: Pao Ko-yung, concurrently Director of Industrial Division, National Resources Commission, Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- Ordnance: Yang Chi-tseng, concurrently Director of Department of Ordnance, Ministry of War.
- Purchasing: Yen Chia-chin, former Commissioner of Reconstruction of Fukien Province.
- Secretariat: Wu Chin-chao, Ministry of Economic Affairs official, now in the United States, who has been instructed to return to China.
Nomination of heads of transportation and finance departments and chief accountant still under consideration. A directive governing the organization and operation of the new board is expected to be issued shortly and further details will be reported in due course.