The Secretary of State to the Chargé in China (Atcheson)
Washington, May 22, 1943—9 p.m.
651. Reference Embassy’s 661, May 6, 5 p.m., in regard to report from Clubb to the effect that, according to Chaucer H. Wu, arrangements have been completed with the Soviet Government for the transportation of Lend-Lease supplies over the Turk-Sib Railway and across Sinkiang; and that 1,072 American trucks in Iran are to be used on this route.
It has been ascertained from Office of Lend-Lease Administration that the actual status of this matter is as follows:
- Assignment of 500 trucks for early shipment from the United States for the proposed northwest route to China has been made.
- The British have been asked to supply approximately 500 additional trucks from India on the understanding that truck replacements will be sent them from the United States.
- A reply has not yet been received from the British.
- The above-mentioned trucks are intended for operation over the Alma Ata–Hami section of the route.