393.0015/85: Telegram

The Consul General at Shanghai (Gauss) to the Secretary of State

104. Reference Department’s No. 43, February 3, 6 p.m. regarding Americans at Kuling. My British colleague when consulted stated he was without instructions from his Embassy. In complying with his Embassy having inquired several days ago regarding our attitude I have informed him of my instructions. He tells me that matter was referred to London and Tokyo with the suggestion that an endeavor be made at Tokyo to have the Japanese military postpone action, pointing out that on a former occasion when both the Japanese and Chinese were cooperating to get foreigners out of Kuling there was considerable difficulty and delay and it will be worse this time so that it would seem practically impossible to get people evacuated before the 10th of February.

I have replied to the Japanese Consul General as instructed, adding a final paragraph to the effect that while an effort is being made to transmit a message to the American nationals at Kuling I am unable to say whether it will be possible to reach them, nor can I say whether any who may wish to evacuate would be able to do so before the 10th of February.

Repeated Chungking, Hankow, Peiping and Tokyo.