The Ambassador in China (Johnson) to the Secretary of State
[Received January 19—1 a.m.]
32. A telegram filed by Paxton at Loyang on January 18, 11 p.m. states:
- That Barrett and Wang14 returned from Sian to Loyang without foreign passengers.
- That 75 foreigners had already left Sian with Scott and had proceeded to Tungkwan.
- That Scott had returned to Sian after having carried out the evacuation.
- That the foregoing information had been confirmed by telephone call from Paxton to Swenson at Tungkwan.
- That Barrett and Fraser were returning to Sian to evacuate Scott and perhaps five British and three Russian[s] who still remained there.
The evacuation from Sian was presumably effected by bus in accordance with a plan arranged by Peck and Captain Scott with Sian authorities during Peck’s visit there.
Sent to the Department, Peiping, Hankow, Shanghai.
- Wang Kwong, of the Chinese Foreign Office.↩