The Ambassador in Spain ( Bowers ), Then in France, to the Secretary of State
[Received February 24—10 a.m.]
219. Department’s No. B–130, February 23, 7 p.m. Our purpose has been to comply with the Department’s instructions to evacuate some and report on others and in my despatch 125040 I indicated the only ways the Department’s instructions can be complied with. Our previous trips since mine in early August have been too hurried to transact business properly or to assemble our people which explains my recommendation that a week be given. Chapman and myself have been in agreement on all these points. There is no danger to those in Nationalist territory unless the Government takes the offensive in those quarters. My impression is that therei is more danger to our ships if we wait until a “grave emergency” exists than if we clean the slate before such emergency comes. Of course, however, we shall await further instructions regarding the cases referred to us by the Department.
- February 2, not printed.↩